Calling Sean Penn. And Later - An Outfit To Keep It Classy & Casual on the 4th

Well, well, well.  Now isn't that the longest blogger title you ever did see?  I never was one for coloring inside the lines.  Except when I was 5.

So without further ado, let me tell you this is NOT the post I had planned as we head into the 4th of July weekend here in the US.  I was just going to give you a sample of what I might wear on the day and meander off.  Instead I spent this week becoming increasingly more agitated by the Oil Spill Crisis on the Mississippi Gulf Coast (amongst other far less original, basically banal irritations, but I'll stick to the course for this post). 

                                                            image via Bumpkin on a Swing

The past two days, in particular, I have spent a good portion of time on the telephone explaining to close friends and colleagues why they should go check out Bumpkin on a Swing's blog to really see the devastation and hear the heartwrenching stories of people living and working amidst this disaster.  It's been shocking to me.  I grew up on the Prairies in Canada where oil and gas is a healthy chunk of local business.  I know what it's like to have those rigs on our land, and know the people working on them.  It's a high risk job.  But if there was a gusher - because it would be open air - they would be able to cap it much more quickly.  I understand that.

Now that I live in California and see the oil rigs off the coast, and know what has happened in the South - I somehow feel very connected to this tragedy.  Maybe because the industry and the people are so very familiar to me.


Whatever the case for once I literally want to see more of Hollywood get involved.  I WANT TO SEE SEAN PENN WEARING A BASEBALL CAP AND MANNING A DINGY THROUGH OIL RIDDEN WATERS GOING OFF ON HIS CAMERAMAN ABOUT WHY THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.  I can't believe I am actually saying this, but it's true.  I want to see Anderson Cooper diving into the water in some crazy lifegear retrieving sick wildlife in nets and bringing them to safety (they'd be calm for him because he's Anderson and he's got a magic touch).  I want Brad and Angie to come running out and shake their heads in dismay from the sickness that's spreading through the Gulf because of the oil spill and the toxins in the air.  I want them to melodramatically be handing out gas masks for all of the world to see - making the powers that be look inefficient in comparison to two actors.  I just want more of a spotlight on the situation.  To see more outrage.  To see the people helped more quickly.  For everyone to work together to get on the same page.  I couldn't just stroll off into the long weekend without saying anything.  Because the people who have to live with the effects of that spill probably won't have the most pleasant 4th of July, and that makes me very, very sad.  After Katrina a lot of the people in the South thought that a lot of the rest of us had forgotten them.  So even though I can't do much and have no real power, I just wanted to do my little part to say  "hey, we do see and we are with you in spirit"- even though that doesn't feel like much.

By the way, did you see that FEMA pulled in the formaldehyde ridden trailers for workers to stay in?  What is up with that??  When Anderson Cooper reported on that tonight I almost snapped.  Actually I think he almost did too.  We learned (or so I thought) from Katrina that those things are poisonous and unlivable.  Why are they now being used again??  And for people who are working in completely toxic situations as it is to come in to rest in those things is even more crazy.  My head is sore from thinking about all of this.

So because I feel like I've been breathing in oil fumes for weeks here's that outfit I promised.  It seems crazy to even include it after my soapbox, but it is still the 4th, it's still going to happen, and I'm gonna make myself get out in style with the mob.  I'll be taking in those fireworks displays in the name of every person in the South who won't be able to enjoy it firsthand.  Style on!

4th outfit


Outfit details:  Ray-Ban Metro Wayfarer, Eugenia Kim Toyo Braid Fedora, Alex and Ani Expandable Wire Bracelets, Rebecca Minkoff Lovespell Crossbody Bag, Gorjana Large Horseshoe Necklace, Matt Bernson KM Gladiator Zip Sandal,  Vionnet Leather Self-Tie Belt, Stella McCartney Cashmere and Silk Blend Cardigan, and finally the Forever 21 romper pictured here is sold out - at $22 I can see why - J.Crew has a similar one that is more expensive, but super gorgeous and here's the link J.Crew Stripe Silk Romper. 
Share this article :
 
 
Support : Copyright © 2011. Trend burung - All Rights Reserved