Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble

Well here's a late post comin' at ya.  I made this dessert on Thursday night, was about to eat it and then decided to see if Pat was up for some.  Hooray for all hoorays she was so I took it over and got to see her for a few minutes.  I've never seen anyone the day after breast cancer surgery so was surprised she was up and around a bit.  Not sure what kind of condition I thought she'd be in, but was sure happy she had color in her face and was in good spirits.

Anyway I cut it short before her crazy neighbors could spot me on their turf, and once inside on safe ground decided I wanted some dessert of my own.  Cut to scene and instead you found me glued to the Real Housewives of New York City (a. Is Countess LuAnn not killing it this year?  Girlfriend has totally hit her stride  b. Kelly's got amazing style c. I'm so glad Bethenny's outta there d. Ramona is off her rocker e. I really like Jill f. Sonia's nuts g. Dear Countess please take me to Morocco.  It is my dream) pulling the dessert out of the oven at 1am and going straight to bed.  Next thing you know I came to around 8am, remembered there was dessert, hopped out of bed and ate it for breakfast.  And lunch.  It's that kind of good.

This is a fave recipe that my friend Cathleen wrote out for me in our 20's.  With everything that went on this week it made me realize how lucky I am to have retained a friend (and her recipe) for such a long time.  There's something comforting about opening my recipe drawer and seeing her handwriting there.  I hope you enjoy the dessert as much as I have over the years...a perfect mix of sweet, sour and crunch that is wonderful with vanilla ice cream.


Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
3C sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb cut in 1/2 inch pieces
1C cuped peeled apples
1/2 to 1C sliced strawberries
1/3C sugar
1/2t ground cinnamon
1/2C all purpose flour (gluten-free blend here)
1t baking powder
1/4t salt
4T butter
2/3C packed brown sugar
2/3 Gluten-Free Oats (or quick cooking oats for anyone not g-free)

Combine rhubarb, apples and strawberries.  Spoon into a greased 8 inch square baking dish.
Combine sugar and cinnamon, sprinkle over rhubarb mixture and set aside.

~Without sugar and cinnamon sprinkled over~

-In bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.  Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbles.  *For this I slice the butter into the flour, take a fork and mash it until I get the result.*
-Stir brown sugar and oats into flour mixture and then sprinkle over rhubarb mixture. 


-Bake at 350 for 40 to 50 minutes or until lightly browned (45 min was perfect for my oven). 
Breakfast.  I mean, dessert.

Have a great weekend everyone.  I'm meeting Torrie and Danielle for dinner tonight and fully intend to be in the horizontal from the time I return home until Monday morning.  See you then!
Share this article :
 
 
Support : Copyright © 2011. Trend burung - All Rights Reserved