Come Sail Away

It is a myth that to live by the beach one must be a lover of water.  While I absolutely love living by the beach I am admittedly uneasy around large bodies of water and rarely go in past hip deep (hangs head in shame only kinda).  It all stems from an ill-fated swimming lesson that took place at approximately age 4.  Picture it:  smallest child in the water, smallest child has to stand on tip-toes to keep head above water, constant tip-toe for over 20 minutes sans water wings spells disaster for smallest child who slips beneath water while swimming instructor fails to notice.  Fast forward to hack, hack, cough, cough, little wet noodle gets dragged out of pool completely traumatized, refusing to return to swimming lessons ever again.  True story.  (insert sad face here)

                                                                   image via treecastle and kidlovesdoodles

Despite my fears I remain mad for nautical attire.  It is crisp, clean and Jackie O - reminding me of summertime, east coast, historical class.  As spring approaches each year I look forward to wide leg denim, striped t's, tanks and paper thin sweaters, big sunnies, anything espadrille (the larger the wedge the better) and a splash of gold jewelry.  This past weekend I decided it was high time to get busy on my boat-themed stash seeing as summer is here and, before you know it, will soon be gone.

poor posture = terror. don't judge

The Chef took me down to the docks where I almost peed my pants standing on that little strip of wood between the houseboats.  I won't lie though - it was extremely peaceful and I felt like Tom Hanks living on the boat after he separates from his lady friend in You've Got Mail.


It was a short-lived moment before that little wooden ramp started rolling and I got myself back on dry land tout de suite.  I'm usually a bit more free wheeling in the apparel department (translate free wheeling as moderately disheveled), but there's something just so put together and Ralph Lauren chic about this style that I simply cannot let it pass me by.


Doesn't it just say get me to the boat Charles?  Or how about get me off this damned boat and into my convertible fiat with a scarf wrapped about my swirling (or in this case moderately contained) locks?


The striped t pictured here is one of a few versions I've collected that are begging to be let loose from the closet.  Nautical stripes are so simple yet so capable of taking even boyfriend jeans or denim shorts up a notch, and the possibilities are endless when considering dresses or skirts.  Here's one of my absolute favorite Olivia Palermo looks of all time.


Check that yellow sass of trim bordering the neckline of her top.  It brings a modern edge to a nautical vibe and a version of the entire look can absolutely be achieved with these sunglasses, this t-shirt, this skirt, and these oxfords.  I don't know what to tell you about the Chloe bag because that thing is unparalleled, although I'm certain there is a similar silhouette lingering around out there somewhere if you're looking for a bag in a lower price range.

So how about it?  Will you be embracing high seas style this summer or let it sail on by?

My Outfit Details:  Brandy Melville Top, Martin+Osa Wide Leg Denim, Tom Ford Sunglasses, Christian Louboutin Espadrille Wedge Booties, Melinda Maria Jewelry
Share this article :
 
 
Support : Copyright © 2011. Trend burung - All Rights Reserved