Shredded

I have to say I've been procrastinating all evening over this post.  I'm conflicted.  Torn I guess you could say.  Hehe - couldn't resist.

Subject:  ripped up clothing.  To rip or not to rip?  To get ripped or not to get ripped?

Maybe I should categorize the following as the good, the bad, and the ugly (or just simply ridiculous).  Let us proceed with Category One:  The Good.


Let me begin by saying I've been in a tete-a-tete with this trend for over a year. About a month ago I was with the Chef in Ever.  He was grabbing something when I saw these ripped up jeans.  Now I should preface this by saying I am a huge Ever fan and have a bunch of their stuff.  It's California cool - denim included.  Anyway.  Seizing the moment I scampered off into the fitting room to give them a try just for curiosity's sake because I didn't think I'd actually like them, and basically wanted to see what the rips all down the front would look like. 



Famous last words because here they are on my body.  When I put them on in the fitting room I also considered that I might be caught up in the elation of something potentially new.  So I strolled out of the fitting room where the Chef had his back to me checking out a coat.  I said, "hey what do you think?".  He turned around and without hesitating responded, "you know I actually like them.  You're getting those right?"

And now here we are.  The Good.

And I do think they are good.  I didn't buy them too tight so my skin's not busting through the torn leg areas.  I've shown them here with a wedge, but to be honest I completely see myself wearing them rolled up just one more time to ankle level, paired with black rainbow flip-flops and a thin white t at a beach bonfire this summer.  Ideal pants for that type of occasion.  See?  Versatility.  Another reason for Category Good.

I am, however beginning to wonder if it's ever going to warm up.  This picture was taken 2 days ago when it was 55 degrees at 6pm.  For those of you in Celsius that is 12.5 degrees.  In late June. Shudder.  The wind was just brutal.

And now let us proceed cautiously to Category Two:  The Bad

Please help me to understand this because I must not have been there that day.  I mean I get it that Rihanna and the Kardashians can pull these off, but I just don't get it.  If there is even an ounce of extra flesh on one's leg and these things are tight it's a fat bulge between the shreds and, pardon me, but that is not attractive.


Don't get me wrong - David Lerner (item pictured here) makes a mean pair of leggings. And if I wasn't on a wallet fast over at American Apparel I might consider investing in a pair of his....but why not just get a cheap pair, grab the scissors and slice carefully and accordingly if you want to achieve this look?  So long as you don't get too close to the side seam and can cut in a straight line you might be able to pull it off and save, oh, a hundred bucks. (these are currently on sale at Shopbop with only 2 pairs left in this style - so someone out there is pulling it off with a sky high bootie)

And finally, buckle your seatbelts and get ready for Category 3:  The Ugly.


The Balmain Slashed Army T-Shirt.  I am referring to it as The Ugly because with a price tag of $1625 I just can't resist.  What.in.the.hell.is.going.on.in.the.land?  Now everyone knows about the Balmain boots.  They're sick, they're fantastic, they're beyond.  At this point their reputation goes before them.  Seriously - I saw the Buckled Suede Pair at Net-A-Porter yesterday and only one day later (at a price tag of $1605) they are gone.  But that still does not explain this ripped atrocity, that is coincidentally now on sale for a mere $1,137.50.  It looks like some acid got loose and ate a bunch of holes out of it.  Call me practical, and maybe my age is catching up to me (or all my mother's lectures on being responsible with money and, like, paying for rent), but if you want a ripped up t-shirt how about this one by LnA?  Or maybe just rip up your own? 

Anyway.  Thus ends my brief synopsis.  I do have mad love for my new jeans - rips and all.  And I do rock the Siwy Camilla shorts in wonder and snowstorm - both with minimal ripping and fray - but I've personally drawn the line at the leggings and the t's.

How about you?  Any takers on the $1K t-shirt??  I'd seriously like to know just out of pure curiosity. 
Share this article :
 
 
Support : Copyright © 2011. Trend burung - All Rights Reserved