Favorite Things: Thimble Cookies

There's something about the Holiday season that is magical.  From the moment I open my eyes in the morning everything feels somehow more special.  Whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah or Kwanzaa you probably have your go-to family traditions that are things you look forward to this time of year.  One of those in my family is baking Christmas cookies.

When I was a kid my grandmother would make all our faves and bring over tins of cookies, squares and other goodies that made my little heart sing.  I would painstakingly remove lid after lid until I came to the container that held the thimble cookies.  As soon as my eyes spotted those jam-filled centers, peace filled my soul.  As I got older my mom would let me pull up a stool next to the counter so we could roll the little balls of dough, dip them in nuts and press our thumbs into the centers before placing them in the oven.  It always meant Christmas day was officially drawing nearer.

Thimble Cookies
Ingredients
1/2C   butter
1/4C   brown sugar
2         eggs
1C      sifted flour (I used my gluten-free flour blend listed here)
Strawberry or Raspberry Jam
Crushed walnuts, gf corn flakes or coconut

Method
  • Cream butter.
  • Gradually work in the sugar.
  • Add one beaten egg plus one yolk and beat well.  Be sure to reserve the other egg white.
  • Stir the flour into the egg/sugar/butter mixture and roll into small balls.
  • One by one dip each ball into the remaining egg white and roll into the walnuts, corn flakes or coconut.
 
  • Place on parchment lined cookie sheets.
  • Press down the center of each with a floured thimble (as I kid I used my thumb).
 guess that sewing kit my mom gave me came in handy after all :)

  • Bake for 5 minutes in pre-heated 300 degree oven.
  • After 5 minutes remove and once again gently press down centers that may have risen.
  • Place cookies back in oven for an additional 10 to 15 minutes before removing from oven.
  • Upon removing and while still hot, fill the centers with the jelly of your choice.
 

 I so looked forward to whipping up a batch of these just the other day.  Spare time has been essentially non-existent recently so that afternoon was especially precious because I hadn't made a gluten-free version of these before, and wanted to get in the cookie zone to do it just right.  They turned out just perfectly and I was so happy to feel the cookie crumble in my mouth when I tasted it...just like my mom and grandma's!

Within an hour of completion we had eaten 6 (the recipe yields 2 dozen) and I was dreaming of cookies and tea for breakfast the next morning.  Suddenly I heard a crash in the kitchen followed by a loud profanity...all I remember is rounding the corner to find my cookies all over the unwashed floor while the Chef looked up in panic.   I might have cried.  Ixnay on the 5 second rule...weekend are you here yet?? 

Do you have a fave cookie for this time of year?  Would love to hear it!
Share this article :
 
 
Support : Copyright © 2011. Trend burung - All Rights Reserved