Hot Chocolate (Cake in a Cup)

I still haven't given up on sequins being the answer to world peace (mentioned here), but given the slim chance that every single person does not embrace the power of shine I am feeling much better having discovered a back up plan.

Consuming hot chocolate cake in a cup by the glowing lights of a Christmas tree.   

See what I mean?  
Santa is on his way for both the naughty and the nice who leave this one out.

Now maybe you have heard of this magic before, but prior to yesterday I had not.  There I was randomly browsing Real Simple trying to forget that the lights on the tree all went out within a minute of being plugged in (Jesus take the wheel) when a golden marshmallow covered cup caught my eye.  Next thing I knew I was in the kitchen and the rest is history.  I.am.telling.you this thing is like smores sans the graham wafer and it is gooood!  I made a gluten-free version and it worked out perfectly, but regular flour will work just the same.

Oh, and make sure your cup is oven safe or it could be a hot mess.

You can find the recipe here and for convenience sake I'll list it below.

Ingredients
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus extra for coating
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour (*I used my fave gluten-free blend listed here), plus extra for dusting
  • 1/2 cup sugar, plus extra for dusting
  • 10 oz. semi-sweet chocolate (*I used chips)
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup mini marshmallows
  • 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder  
Method
  • Preheat oven to 375° F. Generously butter, flour, and sugar eight 6-ounce coffee cups or mugs made of ovenproof stoneware. Wipe the rims clean. *Now let me interrupt.  I made 2 of these in the large Pottery Barn Great White Mugs and 2 is all this recipe yielded, so if you have large mugs be prepared for fewer servings. 
  • Place the 8 tablespoons of butter and the chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water and melt, stirring once or twice until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool 5 minutes. 
  • Using a handheld mixer, beat the eggs, yolk, vanilla, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar at the highest speed until the volume doubles and the mixture becomes foamy, about 5 minutes. Stir the 3 tablespoons of flour into the chocolate, then gradually add it to the egg mixture, beating on low until it's fully incorporated.  
  • Ladle the batter into each cup until it's about 1/2 inch from the rim. 
  • Bake until the cakes puff and begin to crack but the centers are still a bit runny, 13 to 17 minutes - will be closer to 20 minutes for larger mugs like these. 
  • Remove from oven. Sprinkle with marshmallows, then return to oven for 2 to 4 minutes, until the marshmallow tops begin to crisp. Remove from oven; let cool about 5 minutes. Sift the cocoa on top. 
 
 Prepare for greatness

This may be my new go-to.  The marshmallows are such a perfect addition - just that little bit of gooey crispness is out of this world - and the cake is rich and warm and ridiculously tasty.    And yes this is the same person who just a couple weeks ago was on the diet wagon...and I kind of still am, but in cases of tree angst one must do what one must do.

As you'll notice - the lights were lit in the background of picture number one.  Now, they've decided not to be.  These lights are brand new.  This is the third replacement strand.  I am feeling very weary friends.  Is it so much to ask for the lights to just stay lit?  Apparently so.  Sigh.  Santa?  You out there??  Please send the lighting pros. Yaaaaaaawn.
    Share this article :
     
     
    Support : Copyright © 2011. Trend burung - All Rights Reserved