Designer Spotlight: Dean Davidson

Dean Davidson is a Canadian jewelry designer that has been an absolute fave of mine for about 4 years.  I first saw his designs in a magazine and was so excited to learn that he was Canadian, too.  When I headed home for the holidays that year I made a pit stop at Holt Renfrew to try on a couple pieces, and ended up using my Christmas money (thanks Dad!) to buy one of Dean's necklaces.  Suffice it to say it sparked a fire in me to own more.

When my jewelry was stolen from the hotel over my birthday, one of the pieces was a Dean Davidson ring (seen here).  It broke my heart because my Dad got it for me and it was the very last one at Holt Renfrew.   I never thought I'd see that ring again - unless I happened to spot it on some fool's finger in LA and stop, drop and roll 'em to get it back.  After a few torturous weeks I got desperate and sent an email to Dean's office in Toronto explaining what had happened.  Almost immediately he personally emailed me back and asked that I call him.  Can you imagine?  I stared at the computer speechless for a good 3 minutes (that's a lot for me).  We ended up talking for some time about all kinds of things - how I got to Southern Cal, where he grew up, where I grew up, how he got to do what he's doing, and so the story goes.

Brief Bio:
Before he designed jewelry, Dean spent several years as an Agricultural Consultant to Farmers.  Crazy, huh?  On a trip to Cape Town he became inspired by the culture and beauty of South Africa, and ultimately by the wonderful beads and jewels he discovered in their marketplaces.  Flash forward and he lived in Calgary, Alberta designing jewelry for Paul Hardy (swoon) for 6 years before launching his own line and moving operations to Toronto.  His designs have been worn by Jennifer Hudson, Tilda Swinton and Lara Spencer just to name a few.  I found his story so inspirational - it is a fine example of a person who totally allowed his life's course to be changed by what he knew to be true about himself in his heart.  I just love the whole thing - and his jewelry too, of course.

Check out some of my current faves:
Must have
Christmas list?  Is that you?
Can you imagine this against a black turtleneck paired with 
high-waisted bell bottoms and a pair of platform heels?   
Or maybe that's just me.  hehe
And the Cup Ring
This one is seriously calling my name.  
I hope it calls my mom, too - 
to let her know it needs a new home at Chez Carrie. 

On a serious note though (mom if you're out there i really am serious about the above) his designs are so unique and there is such variety to choose from.  As you're getting your pens, pencils, iPads, and sticky notes poised for your Christmas list I would highly recommend taking a look at Dean's website.  You can find it here for the full line and it is wonderful to browse through.  I know they ship to the U.S. because he had ONE ring left like the one that was stolen from me - ONE after all these years just sitting in a desk waiting for me - and it's on the way as we speak!  Whew!  
Share this article :
 
 
Support : Copyright © 2011. Trend burung - All Rights Reserved