Striped. And Shoed.

I don't know about you, but I am ready for the weekend.  How is it that this week seems to be moving at a snail's pace?  Perhaps because there is an extra day off just waiting at the end.  Sigh

In any event, although it was not planned I guess this outfit could be a little throwdown in celebration (and anticipation) of the 4th of July.  So let's get to it.  How do you feel about stripes?  Yes?  No?  Sometimes?  I have to say that although I am really drawn to stripes, I tend to stop myself from buying too many because they could really fill up my closet and take over - I like 'em that much.  However, with my love for nautical-inspired looks, I do keep a few navy and white striped staples on hand for their fresh, clean appeal.



This Brandy & Melville dress is one of my all-time faves.  Probably because it is so easy to work with and made from a very soft, yet sturdy, cotton.  This past weekend we made a valiant attempt to go to the beach on Saturday (if you keep saying it's summer maybe it will show up?) The weather was actually semi-warm that day and we got a good couple hours of sun, although you would never know it from my still white legs. When we strolled off the beach I threw this dress on to go catch the sunset from a better spot and later grab a bite.


I gotta tell ya that finding a comfortable place to sit on rocks is not easy (as you can imagine).   What I realized from this exercise is the dress was a great investment.  It gives in all the right places, the stripes are very forgiving, and the fact that there is more navy than white means it won't show dirt in all the wrong places (the derriere in this case).  It made me think that perhaps a few more stripes wouldn't hurt - especially for looser tops and particularly if we're eating out (think Mexican food) and I want to eat a lot without worrying about the tummy area! hehe


You know what else?  The 4th of July aside, I'm really feeling this red, white and blue combo.  When I first threw it all in the bag I thought it might be questionable, but once on it actually looked quite cute.  I paired the dress with my Bensimon sneakers which are basically irresistible.  Do you own a pair?  They're inexpensive, come in a ton of colors and are so, so comfortable.  Piperlime has several colors on sale that could easily take you from summer into fall, if you're interested.  They're perfect for just scuffing around and are a great casual alternative to a ballet flat.  Here's a close up:


I realize it's bad behavior, but one of the best things about these is the flexible fabric - I can just step on the backs with zero guilt!  Ever since I saw A Lot Like Love, and Amanda Peet was rolling around in that adorable red skirt with the Chucks she just stomped the backs on, those squished back shoes have been frozen in my mind.  The Bensimon's have been a dream come true :)  What can I say?  It's the simple things, right?


Here's the wonderful sunset we caught that night.  This one's for you Bumpkin - have you checked out her blog?  She lives on the Mississippi Gulf Coast and does an outstanding job of updating her readers on the goings on with the oil spill - her husband, The Captain, works at sea so he gets a firsthand look and shares with us.  It sure is tough to read, and the pictures are very sad, but it's great to be able to get the truth and lend support.  Please check out her blog if you get the chance.

Oh!  And if you're looking to add a striped dress or two to your life why not consider one of these little numbers:  Ella Moss's Sundance Halter Dress, Splendid's Charcoal Rugby Stripe Dress, Gap's Belted Nautical Stripe Tank Dress, or Anthropologie's Sunwashed Dots Shirtdress (personal fave - gorgeous).

Outfit details:  Tom Ford Sunglasses, Brandy & Melville Dress, Bensimon Sneakers, Marc by Marc Jacobs Tote
Share this article :
 
 
Support : Copyright © 2011. Trend burung - All Rights Reserved