Thrifting With a Burn

This past Saturday was one of the first nice beach days we've had in SoCal this summer.   We drove off in the afternoon to lay out and get some much needed zzzz's.  I put on my 85 block just in case.  I put on a lot.  Did I mention I put on a lot?  Yeah.  Just wanted to make sure you knew I put on a lot.

 Yes I just outed my sunscreen that has been highly effective on several other occasions.

As we walked back to the car approximately 2 hours later I told the Chef I didn't think I had gotten much color.  However within 1 hour of leaving the beach we were dealing with the onset of Sunburn 2010 that resulted in the downing of litres of water, a bunch of advil, and a gangload of barbecue while we screamed the remainder of the day away in pain.  Shudder.

Amidst the chernobyl skin disaster, I dimly recalled the UPS man delivering a package on Friday.  At some point I hobbled over to examine its contents.  Remember my self-professed love for the bubble skirt?  Well I would like to thank you J.Crew for sale + an additional 20% off.  "Welcome home Friend," I said to it in Nancy Grace's friend voice.  Saturday gave way to Sunday where I could be found in very loose fitting clothing, spun out on advil (move over lindsay lohan) and slathered in aloe vera to ward off pain and distant peeling, all up in Anthropologie trying to pretend I was "just looking" while really seeking a belt in order to mask the elasticized waistband of new skirt friend.  So much for self-imposed wallet restriction.


That's not me at Anthropologie.  That's me in my bubble and one of the new belts longingly looking into, what I believe may be, a jackpot thrift shop.  I've always wanted to learn the ins and outs of productive and effective thrifting.  Suffice it to say I have not been successful to date.  It doesn't help one hone one's nonexistent skills when the store's closed either, thanks.


It did, however, afford me the opportunity to look closely into the window without having to fear going in and being identified as the obvious non-experienced thrifter extraordinaire. I have to say, on another note, that I am in love with my new bubble.


Look at it up close.  It's made out of chino so it retains a bit of crunch and, therefore, structure even after it's been worn awhile.  The brilliant minds at J.Crew put a tiny stitch in front and back mid-way up the skirt to give it that twisted and slightly disheveled look I love.  Paired with a simple James Perse crew neck it was ready to go.


The belt I scored at Anthropologie saves the skirt from being bo-rang by adding a zip of bad ass with the hammered silver buckle.  


It's the pull around and clasp style that was so popular in the 80's and 90's.  Welcome back other friend.

As I've said before I am uncomfortable in overly girly clothing so always looking for ways to take a feminine item and put my own spin on it.  In this case the accessories saved the day.  In addition to the belt, the rings, bracelet and shoes tied it all together keeping it feminine with a little edge.

 Dear J.Crew, you just won't quit will you?  Got this gem last year on drastic sale 
and just found it stuffed in a drawer.  
I love when that happens.  $100 bills are you out there??

Thanks again to Seventh Door and Corks and Caftans for hosting the fantastic bracelet giveaway I won!  I've been sleeping in this mother since it arrived.

Dear Steve Madden:  usually I am anti-knockoff but when Loeffler Randall sold out of this version last year you saved me from having to purchase my weight in Kleenexes.  Pass.  Love, Carrie

So anyway, what you can't tell is that I was writhing in pain during this expedition whereby we were driving en route to somewhere else when I hollered out THRIFT almost sending the Chef over the edge as we barreled around the corner only to discover the place was closed as I stared longingly into the window at what I highly suspect is a Marimekko lamp that is likely out of my price range while hipsters far and wide walked by looking at me like I was from outer space. 


Oh hipsters - I have lots of black in my closet, too.  And old army boots and plaid shirts.  And dirty fedoras that look like a Mac Truck ran them over, like, 7000 times or something.   I love dirt.


So at some point I just admitted defeat and took my burn back to the car and left.  You will not evade me thrifting.  Someday I will understand you.  Until then...

Outfit details:  Tom Ford Sunglasses, James Perse Crew Neck T, J.Crew Bubble Skirt, Anthropologie Belt, Melinda Maria Ring, J.Crew Ring, Seventh Door Bracelet, Steve Madden Shoes.

Share this article :
 
 
Support : Copyright © 2011. Trend burung - All Rights Reserved