Part 1: The Evolution and Modernization of the Sweatshirt (Dress)

I have come to the conclusion that renting a home is not the devil after all.  Now don't get me wrong - I would love to own my own home, however the alternative does not necessarily have to equal a fate worse than death.  If you had asked my opinion on this very matter just a few years ago when I was living in a duplex beneath my alcoholic VA nurse neighbor who drove around the neighborhood inebriated in the government car pretending to be out "assisting war veterans" when indeed she was just off sideswiping parked cars in the Trader Joe's parking lot en route to her home (aka my home too) where she would then smash into the garage door and eventually cart two cases of Two Buck Chucks upstairs for a day of hiding at home watching television and drinking bottles of wine on the government's dime - well then I might have had a different response.  Now I'm feeling slightly more positive.

Especially after having driven by the sweeeeetest Melrose Place like building in my neighborhood just the other day.  It's entirely white washed with dark trim.  Each apartment has its own outside door leading in, huge windows, quirky interior details and a courtyard that the back of the units are built around.  How do I know all of this you ask?  Because I got out of the car and looked around while trying not to appear too much like a peeping Tom. 

While conducting my exploration I was decked out in one of my favorite pieces of clothing that ironically is something I completely mocked when I first saw it.  Enter:  the sweatshirt dress.  Ahhhhh yes.  Hypocrisy is alive and well over here at Casa Carrie.


I consider myself very fortunate to be able to work from home.  I like being siloed in because I'm a driven person by nature and can accomplish a lot when faced with little distraction.  That being said, my attire can sometimes consist of pajamas such as boxers and tee's with not-so-fancy slippers or Ugg boots for days.  Attractive.  And sometimes I find myself in a bit of a rut, so to avoid that I picked up a couple sweatshirt dresses from James Perse.  His cotton is a drug and I am an addict.


Check this.  Who would ever think that a sweatshirt dress could be so good?  This one is particularly comfy because it is lined with the softest thermal material.  You feel all snuggled in, but the material is wonderfully breathable.  One of the reasons I really warmed up to it is because it has some structure as well.


It is form fitting without being tight, but also forgiving in the waist and derriere.  If I have to zip out to the store, I can do so at ease by throwing on a pair of sandals or, in this case, a pair of knee high boots and still be super presentable without having to go through a big to do.


The detail on the elbows is reminiscent of the lining of the dress.   It adds just that little bit of texture to the outside of the garment making it more than just a long sweatshirt.


I layered on a couple of J.Crew shiny necklaces - finds from late last fall picked up for next to nothing (seriously scour those sales for major deals - I'm not so savvy with the jewelry and pretty much get all my stuff that way).  Just those little jewels made the dress a wee bit saucier.


Of course the boots helped, but I'll totally throw it on with my Bensimon's too (seen here) just for something simple.


Even though I'm totally eating my words, as is a common theme here on the ol' blog, I have to say this dress will get a lot of wear because it marries the best of both my worlds:  comfortable and laid back with fashionable.  I'm all for bumming around in sweats and a tee, but sometimes when you're 5 days in and haven't left the house for more than half an hour you need to seek alternatives - particularly those that require a shower- for the good of you and your cats.  Except when the former neighbor is out on the lam.

Outfit details:  James Perse Long Sleeve Dress,  Forever 21 Denim Jacket (from 8 years ago), Loeffler Randall Matilde Boots, Foley + Corinna Classic Mid-City Tote, J.Crew Necklaces, Target Sunnies.
Share this article :
 
 
Support : Copyright © 2011. Trend burung - All Rights Reserved