Rag Rug Chic

On Sunday afternoon I peeled over to the local Flea Market late in the day to see if I could find any treasures for my new abode.  Truth be told I was all kinds of hoping to find that psychedelic Austin Powers-ish type jersey dress I left behind last time...no dice.  Talk about a lesson learned.  Sigh

While wandering the aisles I came across a vendor whose wares immediately caught my eye:  rag rugs, aprons, and homemade pillow cases.  My grandmas both used to whip up some rag rugs that would make your eyes water from the sheer beauty of the colors they intermingled - and I still have handmade pillow cases in my cupboard.  Just last week I had been chatting it up with my mom about making a massive one of my own when low and behold there they were!  As I zipped in closer I noticed the person had turned the rug into a nifty little handbag that had a flour sack pocket on the outside and the best polka dot lining inside...so many pieces of my childhood all rolled into one.


As it turns out Michael Wells is the owner/operator of Cattle Headquarters, a graphic design company that makes hand-printed t-shirts, flour sack towels, pillowcases, aprons and other items featuring retro-cool Western-inspired images. As we got to talking I learned that his great-grandparents had made heirloom quilts from flour sacks - they, too, had the "re-use philosophy" down pat.

This one ties around the waist, but there were others that 
tied around the neck as well.  I just fell in love with all the different patterns.
Totally took me back to my childhood.

There's Michael!  Sorry about the closed eyes, new friend :)

I ended up buying the cheeriest bag and wanted to give you a peek at it.  It's perfect for casual days, store runs and trips to the beach - totally something you would find in Anthropologie.  I hope you enjoy...if you're interested in picking up one of your own visit Cattle Headquarters here.  Lots of great stuff to choose from and eco-friendly, too.

I'm running out to the store momentarily and about to throw this on.  
Taking the bag out on its maiden voyage - it totally gives the outfit some zing.
Cool button, huh?  There's a little fabric strap that pulls over to seal it shut, too.
The detail on the bag is wonderful and they retail for $45.00.  Handmade!

*once I get my place organized there will be a rag rug diy on the horizon.  *take note idea stealers*
Share this article :
 
 
Support : Copyright © 2011. Trend burung - All Rights Reserved