Cinco De Mayo...Guacamole!

I'm fresh off of yet another day of Level 2 of the 30 Day Shred - read:  I'm too scared to venture into Level 3 territory.  In an effort other wise known as procrastination I worked late, tidied a few things (walked in circles trying not to think about chocolate) and then made guacamole.  You do realize that the entire time I knew I was avoiding the Shred?  Why do I do this to myself?  I know I want to do it.  I know I feel better after I work out.  So why the delay?  Deep hidden mysteries of the universe yet to be uncovered, I guess.

In other grand news today is, indeed, Cinco de Mayo.  If you follow me on twitter you know I wax on endlessly about Don Julio tequila and the glorious margaritas it produces.  It would have been lovely to pull some simple syrup together and mix up a margarita for the blog, but the Chef is hard at work prepping for opening over at the restaurant and I should not be left alone with Don Julio.  I kid, I kid!  In all honesty there have been several instances where I almost posted my guacamole recipe, but then ate the subject before it could be photographed.  Oops!  Guacamole is one of my favorite things to eat, and I refuse to only enjoy it when out to eat or purchase the mush in the store.  Life's too short and it's too good.  For all you guacamole lovers I swear by this recipe.  Hope you enjoy.

Ingredients

Homemade Guacamole
Ingredients
1 jalapeno pepper  - seeded and minced
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
3 tablespoons chopped tomato
2 tablespoons onions minced
1 large avocado, ripe
1/2 lime

Begin by mincing the jalapeno. I start by chopping it, getting rid of the seeds and then mincing it.  Once complete finely chop the cilantro and then mix jalapeno and cilantro together, sprinkle with salt to get the natural juice out and mash into a paste. I either do this right on the cutting board or using a mortar and pestle.

Before/After to demonstrate just how easily it mashes into paste.
You can also do this with the bottom side of a spoon on your cutting board.
Transfer the paste to your guacamole serving dish.

Next chop tomato making sure to get rid of all seeds and juice.  The last thing you want is watery guacamole.  Not good. I chop my tomato pieces into cubes because I like a chunkier guacamole - the goal is to have a finished product that is not going to turn to mush when you mix it.  Once you've chopped your tomato and minced your onion transfer those to the serving dish as well.

Lightly mix the three ingredients together

From here take the avocado, cut it in half and remove the pit.  Because I do not over mix my guacamole I cut the avocado into cubes from the inside and then scoop them out with a spoon.  Much easier than peeling, cutting and transferring - and lessens the mush factor.

From here all you have to do is gently toss the avocado with the other ingredients, 
squeeze on the lime, lightly mix again and it's ready to be eaten.
Completed Product

I proceeded to eat half of this for dinner with some Tacupeto corn chips which are an unparalleled store bought chip (at least in our opinion).  Hope you guys have a great Cinco de Mayo!  Any plans to celebrate or just keeping close to home for a little soiree?  My crazy neighbors across the street have been Cinco de Mayo'ing for 2 days straight...and they're in their 60's.  I'm almost afraid of what tonight may bring.  Look for me in my sombrero hiding under the bed with Don Julio margarita in hand.
Share this article :
 
 
Support : Copyright © 2011. Trend burung - All Rights Reserved