Back to Basics

For me fall signifies a time to get serious.  As a child it meant returning to school with sharp HB pencils in my new pencil case, crisp outfits, and the smell of books in the beloved library.  Every year, no matter where I am in the world and what the weather may be, I instinctively become more solemn as we round the corner to September and tend to stay that way for most of the winter months.  It's school's fault I think - it forced me to shed the lazy days of summer and get back to business.

This also goes for my wardrobe.  It is true that growing up in Canada meant a free-for-all of amazing and wearable fall fashion from plaid and wool to velvet and fur, but it also meant a purposeful acquisition of basics that could be worn mostly together or intermingled between other trendier pieces.  I was a basics lover long before my Gap days, but it was my tenure there that instilled an appreciation for the good stuff - a plethora of white, black, navy and grey t's in long and short sleeves always kept on hand, be sure to include leggings in those same basic colors,  and don't forget denim in light to dark washes in tops, bottoms and jackets.  These lessons I learned at Gap are, in some ways ironically, as valuable to me as an adult as some of the things I learned in high school and university (shhhhhh don't tell!).  As long as I have the essentials in wardrobe basics, it is easier to maneuver from season to season without breaking the bank.  Fall is a time when I find myself rediscovering these wonderful pieces that have rested patiently in my closet through most of the brighter summer months, and this weekend was no exception.

 If you were to happen upon my neighborhood chances are
you would see me strolling in a version of this on any of my "off days".
 Okay you got me.  On any day.

It's got all the essentials - not too large/not too small denim jacket, 
James Perse T (you know how I feel about those), black leggings, 
and a zip of leopard in the shoe to bring the unexpected.

 As much as I love a leather bag - and girls you know I love a leather bag - 
this little canvas bag is perfect for groceries and, well, I'll just out myself...
It's got CATS IN A BLANKET AT THE BEACH ON IT!
(if only my parisian former-neighbors from santa monica who used to take our "shared" cat to the 
beach in the basket of their vespa could see this now!  bruno...you out there?)

The bag says "4 friends, 2 sweaters.... 1 cold night @ the beach"
Doesn't get much better than that, in my opinion!

And it only seems fitting to pair cats with cat print.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.  I'll fill you in on mine tomorrow seeing as I've been wrestling with Blogger for, oh, 4 hours and my patience has basically been worn to nil.  (death to this picture uploading/crashing nonsense!!)

Outfit details:  Tom Ford - Sunnies, Big Star - Denim Jacket, James Perse - T, Gap - Tank, American Apparel - Leggings, Target - Leopard Flats, J.Crew - Canvas Bag, Melinda Maria - Rings

Share this article :
 
 
Support : Copyright © 2011. Trend burung - All Rights Reserved