Stapled

And no I don't mean my abdomen.  Although if donuts keep swirling 'round my gluten-free mind you just might find me under the wheel of the gluten wagon at Le Donut say around, oh, 3am right smack on the dot when Mr. Le Donut let's the glazed cinnamon twists out of the glaze.  Not that I'd know anything about that or anything.  Ahh the good old days last week.

Rather, what I am referring to in this case dear friends is the neeeeeeed for appropriate staples in the wardrobe.  Now before you run off or slip into a coma (if you're even remotely like me the words "wardrobe" and "staples" cause inevitable head nodding) just bear with me a moment as I feel your pain and share a tale that occurred yesterday.  I had a meeting that required me to leave the house (work required rarity) - and before 10am.  This is a red alert in Carrie-land.  I am not a morning person.  As a matter of fact my mind does not even function properly until 10:30 or 11am - it must be in the DNA because I've been this way since birth.  In addition to this early morning allergy - I don't own a suit (waves victory flag!).  Even the word makes me break out in a hive.  For 8 years I have consulted with one of the most fancy-shmancy retained executive search firms in all the land and successfully avoided the suit.  You don't understand dear people...this feat requires the attention of Guinness Book.  I am the last of a dying breed - a population of one.  How have I done this you ask?  With craft and skill and diversionary prowess, friends.  Last week I feared my city of "Hell No To Suits - Population 1" may have been on the verge of extinction when I (was coerced into) agreed to meet the President of a company.  For one entire day I fretted and sweated the possibility of having to purchase the suit ixnay.  But victory was mine when I dove into my closet with fierce determination and came out with a slough of basics that resulted in a brilliant outfit that in no way, shape or form said "I belong to 'the man' " (one of my biggest fears ever).  And so I say to you fine women - incorporate at least these simple staples into your wardrobe and you too will be victorious.

I remember one of my most fave clients ever advising me to
invest in this magnificent staple.  She was and is brilliant.
At first you cringe, but then you wear it with skinny minnie
poplin stretch pants and loafers on an "off day" and realize you're still cool.
WIN.
Or the Ludlow Jacket from J.Crew is a great alternative, too.
This way you provide the "illusion" of the suit, but never actually 
don the pants.  
Instead opting for dark colored skinny denim.  
Black or midnight blue is best so as to remain professional, but 
also still have casual ways to get full use of the pants
and not relegate them to that icky part of the closet known as "work clothes"
Shudder.
Here is where the fun really begins.  
Invest in a good pair of black knee high boots and a pair of heels.
If there is one thing I have learned in consulting 
it is that hair, skin, nails, shoes and bags speak volumes.  
If you are well-groomed, carrying a chic handbag and 
wearing a killer shoe - they won't even remember your non-suit.
But they will always recall "those shoes" and "that bag".
 The bag.  I actually first bought this bag in brown and because 
it was so amazing later picked it up in black as well.  
They do go on sale so keep watch vigilantly.
I've had mine for 3 or 4 years and they are my go-to bags.
Client meetings - yes, but also for daily living.
And let us not forget the statement necklace.
Sometimes you may opt for a cashmere shell or silk camisole in place of 
that woven.  In this instance especially the statement necklace will keep
the outfit from being too casual thereby masking the lack of woven.

I would also sing the praises of all of J.Crew's cashmere in photos right now, 
except their server seems to be blocking this at present.
All I can say is you will never go wrong investing in cashmere - 
especially when it is on sale.  It lasts forever and never stops being classy.

Now don't get me wrong - a beautiful suit is a treasured thing to own, but I don't have $1500 lying around to get one I want (and then several more so I can wear daily if need be).  Instead I have been very successful for several years meeting company heads who didn't bat an eye at my non-suit provided I was still dressed polished and professionally in basics.  What did I wear today, you ask? J.Crew Black Boyfriend Blazer - sleeves rolled displaying pinstriped lining, charcoal grey Vince silk camisole, Gorjana 'Tree of Life' necklace, J.Crew skinny denim, Banana Republic Black leather knee-high boot, Foley + Corinna Mid-City Tote in black, hair pulled back in sleek low ponytail.

I would've taken a picture, but it was early and I couldn't really see straight.  And by the time I got home I had to work and then quickly turn around to leave for evening class.   There wasn't even time to read your blogs.  Monday.  But today's a new day.  Yay for Tuesday!! Is it Friday tomorrow?

Share this article :
 
 
Support : Copyright © 2011. Trend burung - All Rights Reserved